Young Lawyer Fund
Make a difference – Make a donation!
The Environmental Defence Society is establishing a dedicated EDS Young Lawyer Fund to support one young lawyer’s salary for an initial period of 3 years. The appointee will generally have less than five years’ experience post admission. The lawyer will be part of EDS’s litigation team which collectively undertakes the following tasks:
- Preparing submissions on district, regional and unitary plan reviews
- Presenting submissions at first instance hearings
- Acting as junior counsel on appeals to the Environment Court and beyond
- Support for innovative litigation including declaration proceedings
- Involvement in updating the Environment Foundation’s online guide
- Assisting in drafting submissions on law changes
- Involvement in legal research on EDS policy reform projects
Implicit in these tasks is a strategic focus on what we consider to be key environmental issues. These include:
- Robust and early improvements in freshwater quality
- Protecting and enhancing our outstanding landscapes
- Protecting indigenous biodiversity, on land and sea
- Oceans reform including more sustainable fishing methods
- Reforming the broad range of conservation laws
- Reforming the resource management system over the next term of government
This work program will enable a recent graduate to gain deep experience of environmental law early in his or her career. The position with EDS is a fast-track in professional development and the expectation is that when the appointee moves on, the experience with EDS will have encouraged a life-long commitment and interest in the practice of environmental law.
The quantum sought for the Fund is $50,000. EDS has received an initial pledge of $10,000 per annum for each of the next 3 years from one donor, Marta Fisch. Further support is now sought to create a pool of funders to match Marta’s. Pledges or donations can be made here. An annual activities report will be provided to donors.
Online banking (preferred method)
Our preferred method is donations via online banking, so we don't incur credit card commission fees, however feel free to use the form below if you prefer to donate via credit card.
If you would like to make a donation directly into our bank account our details are below. Please email us if you would like to recieve a tax receipt. Email .
Environmental Defence Society
If you would like to make a recurring monthly donation via online banking, please email us. We would love to hear from you! Email .
To make a donation using your credit card, please complete the online form below. A tax receipt will be sent to you.